A free service for people who are representing themselves and have a hearing date in the Family Law Courts or are starting proceedings in a Family Law Court.
The Duty Lawyers are located at the Family Law Courts, 3 Angas Street, Adelaide, at Level 1, Room 1.12 or Room 1.17 each day.Duty lawyers can:
- Provide family law advice about your Court hearing and/or legal problem.
- Help with adjournments - generally limited to adjournments of the first court appearance.
- Help with Legal Aid applications.
- Provide referrals to private practitioners and other services.
Duty lawyers cannot:
- Prepare complex court documents.
- Represent you for interim hearings, contravention applications and final hearings (trials).
- Provide specific legal advice or representation in Court if there is a conflict of interest (e.g. if the other party or a child is represented, or has previously been represented, by a Legal Services Commission lawyer). In such cases the Duty Lawyer will provide general information only.
- Provide specific legal advice regarding settlements (only general information and advice).
- Assist with Youth Court (care and protection) matters.